Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Seventh College - General

Where is Seventh College located?

Seventh College is located in the beautiful northwest corner of campus, formerly known as the Village. Every apartment has a full kitchen and many boast spectacular ocean views. The college is next door to the RIMAC athletic complex, the Rady School of Management, the School of Global Policy and Strategy, and Eleanor Roosevelt College.

UC San Diego Campus Map - Seventh College

What is Seventh College's theme?

The College's theme is "A Changing Planet." This encompasses a broad range of pressing global issues such as the climate crisis, mass migration, and rapid cultural and technological change. The goal of Seventh College is to help students acquire the skills needed to confront these challenges.

Can transfer students apply to Seventh College?

Transfer students can start applying to Seventh College in Fall 2021 for the 2022-23 academic year.

Will Seventh College be eventually named?

Yes, Seventh College will eventually be named--however, an exact timeline of when this will occur is to be determined. The naming of the colleges at UC San Diego is a careful and deliberate process involving input from the entire UC San Diego community. We’re excited to see who our namesake will be!

What research and educational opportunities are provided to Seventh College students?

Seventh College students have all of the same amazing research and educational opportunities as students in the other colleges. A great starting point for investigating these opportunities is the website for Academic Enrichment Programs.

We also encourage students to check out the experiential learning opportunities listed on the Teaching + Learning Commons and Study Abroad websites.

What recreation activities are available to Seventh College students?

Seventh College's close proximity to UC San Diego's sports complex, RIMAC, allows our students to participate in a wide variety of recreational activities including access to equipment and facilities, in-person and virtual fitness classes, and more.

Please visit UC San Diego Recreation for further information.

How does Seventh College promote interdisciplinary learning?

At the core of Seventh College’s academic mission is the Synthesis Program, which draws upon material from a broad range of disciplines, highlighting how different areas of study approach questions and arrive at answers. As a result, students are able to hone their critical thinking skills and enrich their expertise in their major.

How do I apply for Seventh College's First-Year Honors Program?

The Seventh College First-Year Honors Program sponsors activities and events designed to introduce students to the pioneering research and innovative scholarship at UC San Diego and in the surrounding community. 

Eligible first-year students will be invited to enroll in SEV 20 - First-Year Honors Seminar, at the end of each academic quarter for the next quarter's enrollment. We encourage students to learn more about Seventh College’s Honors Program on our website.

What are Seventh College’s colors?

Seventh College's color is represented on our official college logo, which was created by the UC San Diego's Communications and Public Affairs Office.

Academic Advising

What advising services does Seventh College provide? Is each student assigned a specific advisor?

Incoming Seventh College students receive advising over the summer via New Triton Advising in the Virtual Advising Center.

During the academic year, students have access to all Seventh College Advising Services.

Students may meet with any available Seventh College academic advisor.

Will academic advising services be in-person and/or remote for 2022-23?

Seventh College Academic Advising plans to offer both in-person and remote advising for the 2022-23 academic year. 

Where is the Seventh College Academic Advising office located?

Seventh College Academic Advising is located in The Gallery, right above The Market at Seventh College.

When do I contact my department/program advisor?

Consult department and program advisors for assistance with major requirements and courses.

Contact Seventh College Academic Advising for help with college and university requirements or any other academic matters.

How do I create a personalized long-term plan?

After successful completion of at least one quarter:

  • Review and your degree audit (MyTritonLink).
  • Use the Degree Planner to create a personalized academic plan.
  • Meet with your department/program advisor to add required major coursework.
  • Schedule an appointment with Seventh College Academic Advising to add remaining courses.

What are Seventh College's GE requirements?

Seventh College’s general education curriculum consists of 14 required courses, some of which are likely to overlap with major coursework. Specifically, students are required to select two courses from each of five different areas:

  • Arts
  • Humanities
  • Natural Sciences and Engineering
  • Quantitative Reasoning
  • Social Sciences

Additional requirements include Synthesis 1, Synthesis 2, and Synthesis 100, all offered exclusively to Seventh College students. Synthesis 1 and 2 are writing-intensive, while Synthesis 100 is project-based.

The High-Impact requirement is satisfied by completing one course (2-4 units) selected from a variety of engaging experiential learning options (e.g. internship, mentored research, study abroad). 

Will any of my major requirements overlap with my Seventh College GE requirements?

It is possible for major requirements to overlap with the Alternatives and High-Impact requirements. 

Synthesis courses are specific to Seventh College and cannot overlap with other requirements.

I've heard that Seventh College's GE requirements are spread out over all four years. Is that true?

Research shows that students benefit more from their general education coursework when they take these courses throughout their college career. For this reason, we encourage students to spread out their general education coursework.

However, students at Seventh College are free to take their general education courses whenever they want, with the exception of Synthesis 100, which requires junior or senior standing.

Why does each college have different General Education (GE) requirements? What makes Seventh College’s GE’s unique?

The UC San Diego college system combines the academic advantages of a large research university with the finest features of a small liberal arts college. Each undergraduate college has its own residential neighborhood, general education curriculum, support services, and distinctive traditions. 

Seventh College GE requirements encourage students to approach large-scale, global issues from an interdisciplinary perspective and to enhance their academic and real-world skills through research, internships, and study abroad.

Can my AP/IB scores and/or community college coursework satisfy degree requirements? Is there a limit to how many credits I can receive?

AP/IB credit may satisfy degree requirements. Please refer to Seventh College’s AP and IB charts for details. There is no limit to the amount of credit you can receive from AP/IB scores. 

Community College coursework may also satisfy degree requirements. Information about how to transfer courses can be found on our website. A maximum of 105 quarter units can be transferred from outside institutions.

What should I do if I missed my first-pass enrollment appointment time?

If you missed your first-pass enrollment appointment time, you will need to wait until your second-pass enrollment appointment time to add courses. We recommend enrolling in open sections whenever possible. If you need help selecting courses, you can schedule an appointment with a Seventh College Academic Advisor. 

Should I schedule back-to-back classes with a 10-minute gap in between?

We typically advise against scheduling back-to-back classes, however this might be necessary in order to enroll in your required courses. You have the option of trying out a back-to-back schedule during the first week of the quarter, and if you find you don’t have enough time in between classes, you can make changes to your schedule up until Friday of Week 2.

What academic deadlines should I be aware of?

Be aware of the following important deadlines:

  • Thursday of Week 2 - automatic waitlists close
  • Friday of Week 2 - deadline to add classes 
  • Friday of Week 4 -  deadline to drop classes without “W” grade and deadline to change grading option 
  • Friday of Week 6 - deadline to drop with “W” grade 

Can I change my major?

Students can change their major online using the Major/Minor tool on TritonLink once they enroll in Fall Quarter courses. Please note that this only applies to majors that are not capped.

I was not admitted into my first choice major which is capped. Is it possible for me to switch into a capped major?

Some majors at UC San Diego are “capped,” which means enrollment in the major is restricted due to high demand. If you were not accepted to the major upon admission to UC San Diego, you will need to apply sometime after you arrive on campus.

Every capped major has its own admissions requirements, so it is important to contact the major department or program directly to ask about the application process. We recommend exploring alternative majors since admission into a capped major is not guaranteed.

How do I declare a double major?

If you are interested in declaring a double major, we encourage you to review How to Declare a Double Major at UC San Diego. Note: if the second major is capped, you will need to be admitted into the capped major before submitting a double major petition.

Residence Life

Are incoming first-year students required to live on-campus?

Students are not required to live on-campus. However, we believe that through participating in the residential experience, students can strengthen connections to peers and their college community, develop independent living skills, and gain access to valuable on-campus resources and programs.

How many students are assigned to a room in Seventh College apartments?

In light of public health concerns related to COVID-19, all on-campus housing (including Seventh College apartments) have reduced capacities.

For further information on housing plans for the 2021-2022 academic year, please visit HDH Housing for Incoming Undergraduates.

How does roommate selection occur?

Students who complete their housing contract by the stated deadline may submit roommate requests during the summer. Roommate requests require students to form groups through mutual invitations (all individuals in the group must accept the roommate request invitation). While Housing tries to honor roommate requests, they are not guaranteed. If you do not submit a roommate request, roommate matches will be determined by your responses to the housing preferences form. Please note that Seventh College Residence Life does not assign any of the initial room placements.

Students are encouraged to routinely check their UC San Diego email address for housing information throughout the summer. 

Are there gender inclusive housing options within Seventh College?

Seventh College provides gender inclusive housing where all genders may live together in an apartment.

We acknowledge the importance of space for all gender identities and gender expressions. We encourage any student who believes they may benefit from gender inclusive housing to select this option when completing their housing preferences form.

What on-campus dining options are available for Seventh College students?

At UC San Diego, there are dining commons located in every residential neighborhood. Seventh College students have the opportunity to dine at The Bistro, shop for groceries and essentials at The Market, and utilize full kitchens in all apartments.

Students who live off campus have access to dining options at Seventh College and the greater UC San Diego campus.

Are pets allowed in Seventh College apartments?

Aquarium fish are allowed in tanks no larger than 10 gallons. Limit of one tank per resident.

If you have a Service or Assistance animal that provides disability support, please contact the Office for Students with Disabilities in order to have your animal approved to live on campus.

What residential amenities within Seventh College are open 24/7?

Seventh College’s security services and laundry services are available 24/7. The Bistro and The Market have scheduled daily hours of operation.

What do Seventh College apartment kitchens include?

Apartment kitchens are equipped with a full size refrigerator and stove/oven unit. Microwaves, toaster ovens, coffee makers, and other small appliances are not included. Students are encouraged to coordinate with their apartment mates regarding any additional appliances and items.

Is Seventh College's Residence Life office offering in-person apartment tours?

Seventh College Residence Life will not be offering any in-person tours of the apartment units for the 2021 - 2022 academic year. Potential and incoming residents are encourged to view information under Seventh College Residence Life for apartment information.

How do I find Off-Campus Housing?

Students who wish to live off-campus are encouraged to review the following resource pages for further information:

  • UC San Diego's Off-Campus Housing page for information regarding finding off-campus housing, safety tips, renter’s responsibilities, and other resources. 
  • UC San Diego's Commuter Resources to learn more about commuter lounges, resources, and ways to build connections on campus.
  • Seventh College Residence Life's Off-Campus Resources page for additional information on off-campus housing resources, public transportation, student legal services and advice from previous students.

Student Life

How are traditions established at Seventh College?

Seventh College traditions are established by college student organizations, Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, and the administration at Seventh College. If you have ideas, please contact our Student Affairs team at

How can I meet and build a community with peers from other undergraduate colleges?

UC San Diego offers many ways to engage with students from across the colleges. We highly recommend joining campus student organizations, participating in Associated Students (Student Government), attending athletic events, and more. 

Seventh College also partners with other colleges to create events and programs for the entire student community.

What resources are available for Seventh College commuter students?

Commuter students have access to the same university experience as residential students - engaging courses, excellent academic advising, and comprehensive campus services. We encourage commuter students to participate in college council, join in campus and college activities, and utilize resources such as our community centers and commuter lounges. 

Please visit Commuter Resources for further information.

Synthesis Program

What is the purpose of the Synthesis Program?

The Synthesis Program allows students to fulfill the writing requirement necessary for graduation from UC San Diego and to further their understanding of Seventh College’s theme, “A Changing Planet.” At Seventh College, we focus on a broad range of pressing global issues such as the climate crisis, anti-racism, mass migration, and rapid cultural and technological change.

What are the differences between SYN 1, SYN 2, and SYN 100?

Each Synthesis course emphasizes the importance of confronting large-scale, global issues from an interdisciplinary perspective and takes a real-world, solutions-oriented approach.

SYN 1 and SYN 2 are writing-intensive courses that introduce a variety of disciplinary perspectives and research methods while developing students' understanding of our changing planet. SYN 100 is an upper-division project-based course that will emphasize a collaborative approach to solving complex global problems.

Do I have to take the courses in sequential order (SYN 1, SYN 2, SYN 100)?

Yes, Synthesis courses are required to be taken in sequential order as each course builds upon the skills and methods introduced by the previous course (starting with SYN 1). SYN 1 is offered in Winter and Spring quarters. SYN 2 is offered in Fall and Winter quarters, starting in Fall 2021. SYN 100, the upper-division project based final course of the sequence will be launched in Fall 2022.

When will SYN courses be offered?

SYN 1 will be offered in Winter and Spring quarters. 

SYN 2 will be offered in Fall and Winter quarters. 

SYN 100 will be launched in Fall 2022.

Can I take SYN courses as Pass/Not Pass?

In accordance with UC San Diego's Academic Senate limited-term exception policies, the Synthesis Program will accept Pass/Not Pass grades for the Winter 2021 and Spring 2021 quarters. Students are encouraged to review the COVID-19 Academic Information for Students

For Fall 2021 and beyond, SYN courses will require letter grades only, unless further grading option exceptions are granted. 

Is there a prerequisite for SYN 1?

To enroll in SYN 1, you must meet the Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR). Please refer to the Analytical Writing Program for further details.

As a Seventh College student, when should I enroll in SYN courses?

The recommended schedule for incoming first-year students is to complete SYN 1 during the first year, SYN 2 during the second year, and SYN 100 during the third or fourth year. These courses may have waitlists; students are encouraged to plan accordingly. For further assistance with academic planning, please contact Seventh College Academic Advising.

Will SYN courses be offered during the summer quarter?

At this time, SYN courses will not be offered during the summer.

What if I am unable/waitlisted to enroll in a SYN course?

SYN 1 will be offered during Winter 2021/2022 and Spring 2021/2022 to ensure Seventh College students have an opportunity to take this course within their first two years.

How can I apply for a TA position with the Synthesis Program?

If you are interested in serving as a graduate student Teaching Assistant (TA) for the Synthesis Program, please contact

TA recruitment occurs during the Spring quarter of the preceding academic year, with priority given to current UC San Diego graduate students in good academic standing.


What is UC San Diego's current visitor policy?

Please refrain from entering campus grounds or buildings unless you have a university or business-related need requiring you to do so. Nonessential visitors will have limited access to the campus, and will be required to follow safety protocols prior and during a campus visit. 

Please review UC San Diego's Return to Learn's information for visitors

How does UC San Diego determine College placement for incoming students?

UC San Diego’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions carefully takes into consideration applicants’ preferences and rankings of the Colleges, and does their best to assign College placements accordingly.

Can first-year students park on-campus?

Please review UC San Diego's parking guidelines for first-year students. 

What is the student-to-faculty ratio at UC San Diego?

While class structure and size varies greatly across departments, our university’s average student-to-faculty ratio is 19:1.

Are there community gardens available on-campus?

UC San Diego and Seventh College are proud to support on-campus community gardens that promote sustainable food practices. There are several on-campus gardens that are open to the campus community.

Please visit the Sustainability website for further information.