Skip to main content

Transferring Courses

Geisel Library

Continuing students may enroll in classes outside UC San Diego to fulfill the Seventh College Alternatives requirement. 

General Information about Transfer Credit

A maximum of 105 quarter units can be transferred to UC San Diego.   

  • 1 semester credit = 1.5 quarter units
  • Courses completed at other UC campuses will be included in the UC San Diego GPA
  • Courses completed outside of the UC system will not be included in the UC San Diego GPA
  • Courses completed at UC San Diego Extension will not be included in the UC San Diego GPA (contact Admissions to verify UC transferability)

Transferring Courses from a California Community College

Go to Degree Requirements and scroll down to Alternatives to see lists of approved courses.  Use to find equivalent courses at the community college you plan to attend.

  • Visit and go to the Transfer Information box
  • For “Institution” select “University of California, San Diego” 
  • For “Agreements with Other Institutions” select the community college you plan to attend
  • Click “View Agreements”
  • For View Agreement by:” select “Department”
  • Select department of interest and click the “View Agreement” box at the right of the screen to see UC transferable courses

Transferring Courses from Other Institutions

Courses that are not listed on must be approved by petition prior to enrollment. Submit an Undergraduate Student Petition Form with the following information to for consideration.

  • Name of the institution you plan to attend
  • Proposed course (include course title and number of units)
  • Planned quarter/semester of enrollment
  • Name of the requirement you would like to fulfill
  • Syllabus and/or course description from the institution's official course catalog

After completion of outside coursework, send an official transcript to Admissions:

UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
MC 0021
La Jolla, CA 92093-0021

Please allow at least three weeks for Admissions to evaluate your transcripts and post credits to your Academic History on MyTritonLink.