Skip to main content

Advising Information for New First-Year Students


Academic Advising Over the Summer

New Triton Advising (NTA) - Starting May 15, go to the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) at and enter your Academic Information by June 15.

Enrollment and Academic Planning Webinar - Offered in early August, this mandatory webinar will be Part I of your Seventh College Orientation experience. Seventh College Academic Advisors will provide information on how to prepare for Fall Quarter enrollment and answer your academic questions. A student panel will also be available to share advice on how to approach your first quarter at UC San Diego. 

Enrollment Guidance - Starting August 9, go to the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) and review Enrollment Guidance.

Online Advising - Starting August 10, you will be able to submit academic questions via Ask a Question in the Virtual Advising Center and receive answers within 1-2 business days.

Fall Quarter Schedule Checks - Seventh College Academic Advisors will check every incoming student's schedule and reach out to anyone with fewer than 12 units and/or other enrollment issues before the start of Fall 2023.

Advising Resources for New First-Year Students

Enrolling in Summer Courses Prior to Starting at UC San Diego

If you decide to complete summer courses prior to starting at UC San Diego, it is your responsibility to avoid enrolling in courses for which you will receive credit through Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams and/or community college coursework.

We have provided the following tips to help you choose summer courses wisely.

Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)

If you have not met the ELWR, complete a UC transferable English Composition course at a community college prior to the start of Fall Quarter.

  • Visit and go to the “Search below for transferable courses box” on the right side of the screen
  • Select “Academic Year” 
  • For “Community College” select the community college you plan to attend
  • Select “UC Transfer Admission Eligibility Courses” and click “View Transferability Lists”
  • For “View Transferable Course by:” select “UC Transfer Eligibility Area”
  • Select “UC-E - English Composition” to see a list of the courses that will clear your ELWR

General Education

Select courses that will fulfill General Education requirements.

  • Review the AP Chart to determine which requirements you will satisfy with your AP exam scores
  • Review the IB Chart to determine which requirements you will satisfy with your IB exam scores
  • Go to Degree Requirements for First Year Students and scroll down to Alternatives to see lists of approved courses

Use to find equivalent courses at the community college you plan to attend.

  • Visit and go to the “Search below for articulation agreements” box
  • Select “Academic Year”
  • For “Institution” select “University of California, San Diego”
  • For “Agreements with Other Institutions” select the community college you plan to attend and click “View Agreements”
  • For “View Agreement by:” select “Department”
  • Select department of interest and click the “View Agreement” box at the right of the screen to see UC transferable courses

Courses that are not listed on may be approved by petition prior to enrollment. Refer to Transferring Courses from Other Institutions for more information.

Major Requirements

Visit the department/program website and contact your department/program advisor for help with selecting transfer courses that will fulfill major requirements.

After completion of summer coursework, send an official transcript to Admissions:

UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
MC 0021
La Jolla, CA 92093-0021

Please allow 10-12 weeks for Admissions to evaluate your transcripts and post credits to your Academic History on MyTritonLink.